Looking for a laugh?
The Englewood Event Center is featuring three comedians tonight, Friday, Oct. 18. Cost for tickets is $15 or $20 for VIP tickets. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Drink specials from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. and the Side Door Comedy starts at 8 p.m. There wil be a full bar and concessions available for purchase. The three comedians will be Aniria Turney, Tony Gaud and Steve Arik.As the daughter of a Puerto Rican mom and a Salvadorian dad living in the South, Aniria lives the “cultural Bermuda Triangle” daily! Having moved here from El Salvador at the age of six, the culture shock and the pleasing of three cultural expectations lingers in her witty observations.She was also voted Tampa Bay’s 2017 Best Up-and-Coming Comic by Creative Loafing, and she performed this year at the Burbank Comedy Festival.Tony Gaud is a working-class journeyman comedian with a laidback delivery and a devil-may-care grin. His storytelling is personal, relatable and leaves the room full of guilty laughter. Tony is also an actor and screenwriter.Steve Arik is an award-winning comedy club veteran, with over 30 years of experience. With a look and style that would seem more at home on a rock ‘n roll concert stage, he definitely stands out doing stand-up.His hard-hitting, explosive adult humor makes him a crowd favorite everywhere he goes.For tickets and more information, see englewoodeventcenter.com/sidedoorcomedycluboct18.html.
Need a new ride?
Gasparilla Adventures has new, all-aluminum bikes for sale. The men’s and women’s Electra bikes, by Trek, are available either with gears or single speed. Gasparilla Adventures has a variety of fun beach colors to choose from. Open every day from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 333 Park Avenue in Boca Grande. For more information, call (941) 964-0711.
Food Truck Festival ...
There will be a Food Truck Festival held in Laishley Park in Punta Gorda on Saturday, Oct. 19, from noon to 6 p.m. There will be a wide variety of the area’s best food trucks serving food from around the world. Beer and wine will be ice-cold and flowing. The gate fee is $5, and kids 12 and under are free. All are invited for games, sunshine and a fun time for the whole family along the beautiful Peace River. Music and dancing from the oldies to now will be provided by award-winning Craig Singleton and the Big City Band. Donations will be collected for the CHAPS food pantry and hygiene closet, so please bring donations to the gate. Learn more about CHAPS at chapsfoo-pantry.com.Volunteers are needed. Contact Jim Comstock at (941) 661-3221 or email@example.com.Interested in becoming a vendor? ContactHal@AllRainbowandAlliedYouth.org for more information, and find the vendor application at: allrainbowandalliedyouth.org/pride.
Trunk-or-Treat, family style ...
All are invited for two hours of fun on Saturday, Oct. 19, from 4 to 6 p.m. at Gulf Cove United Methodist Church. There will be free food, crafts, a bounce house and lots of candy. You can even get your family photo taken. Gulf Cove UMC is located at 1100 McCall Road in Port Charlotte, just ¾ mile south of the Myakka River on State Road 776 in the Gulf Cove area. For information, contact the church at (941) 697-1747 or GulfCoveUMC@gmail.com. The church’s website is found at GulfCoveChurch.com.
Englewood Bike Night ...
Dearborn Street comes alive with the sounds of motorcycle enthusiasts from all over SW Florida. The Englewood Moose Riders will be hosting a bike night all up and down West Dearborn Street in Old Englewood on Saturday, Oct. 19 from 5 to 10 p.m.There will be live music in Pioneer park. Attendees can enter to win a 2020 Harley Street Glide, and restaurants and pubs will have live entertainment too. Great food, live entertainment, good drinks, raffles, drawings, vendors and one heck of a good time. All while supporting Moose Rider Charities like: F.A.M.E., Englewood Area Cancer Foundation, Helping Hands, Blanche’s Dog Rescue, Dachshund Rescue, Sheriffs Youth Ranch, Mooseheart, Moosehaven, Wreaths Across America, and many more. Come early and visit our many Dearborn Street restaurants and shops.
Free golf cart clinics …
Kappy’s Carts will be offering free golf cart clinics weekly starting on Thursday, Oct. 24. The Thursday morning clinic’s will be from 9 to 11 a.m. near Kappy’s Downtown, in the parking lot closest to Sister’s Restaurant. Come get your tires filled and check you batteries. A golf cart mechanic will be on-site for any questions or concerns you may have. If you cart needs additional servicing, Kappy’s Karts is offering a “Fall Season Tune - Up Special” for $99 ($89 for maintenance program members).
‘Pumpkins, Pipes and Pandemonium’
On Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary at 700 E. Dearborn Street, the 2019-2020 Englewood United Methodist Church Music Ministry concert series kicks off with its “Pumpkins, Pipes and Pandemonium” concert for the whole family. Organist and Director of Music Ministries Fonda Davies and Fusion by Fire, the EUMC band and the Praise Team, don costumes for laughter and surprises centered on this year’s “Malt Shop Memories” theme. Wearing seasonal apparel or any costume of choice is encouraged but not required. A freewill donation will be collected. See englewoodumc.net or call (941) 474-5588 weekdays for information.
Throwback to the 50s ...
Fishermen’s Village will present the 3rd annual “Throwback to the 50s” music-centric event Saturday, Oct. 26, from noon to 4 p.m. and all are invited. This fun, interactive event promises to take you back to yesteryear through music and dancing and a little bit of comedy.The event will feature live entertainment from noon to 4 p.m. throughout the Village including:
• Boomers Band - playing in the first section near Good ‘Ole Days Coffee - golden oldies, rock ‘n roll, Motown, Blues and more!
• Nick Dattilo and The Legends Band - playing in the Center Court - tribute to Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Ritchie Valens, The Beach Boys!
• CJ & Friends - playing in the third section of the Village - take a trip down memory lane with this dynamic twosome!
• Appearance by “Elfig”, alias Bob “Fig” Newton - who knows, he might just belt out an Elvis tune or two with the bands!
Come dressed in attire from the 50s and 60s and join the fun. Admission and parking are free. Located on Marion Avenue, Punta Gorda, Fishermen’s Village features 30 shops, boutiques and galleries, waterfront dining, harbor and sunset cruises, fishing charters, boat rentals, special events and weekly live entertainment. For more information, call (941) 639-8721 or see fishville.com.
Halloween climb of the Boca Grande Lighthouse ...
Walk in the very steps of lightkeepers from the past! RSVP for a 20-minute climb tour to the top of the historic Gasparilla Island Lighthouse on Sunday, Oct. 27 from 9 a.m. to noon as volunteer docents share the fascinating story of this U.S. legacy. All proceeds support the continuing restoration and preservation of this local historical treasure.The following climb will be held on Sunday, Oct. 27.To see all climb dates and to RSVP, please visit our calendar at: barrierislandparkssociety.org/events/ or call (941) 964-0060.
CSO added a new concert: John Williams & Friends ...
Join Maestro Raffaele Ponti and the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra (CSO) for an unforgettable preseason teaser celebrating the most beloved film scores of our time: Star Wars, E.T., Pirates of the Caribbean, Spiderman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and more – reaching audiences far and wide – are some of the most celebrated films that have captivated moviegoers for decades with their easily recognizable musical themes. Family audiences will love it! The concert will be held on Sunday, Oct. 27 at 2 and 7:30 p.m. at the Charlotte Performing Arts Center, located at 701 Carmalita Street in Punta Gorda. Tickets are $55 for adults and $15 for children. For more information and tickets, see charlottesymphony.com or call (941) 205-5996.
3rd Street Bistro is reopening ...
The wait is over ... 3rd Street Bistro is reopening for the 2019-2020 season on Tuesday, Oct. 29. The Bistro will be serving lunch, dinner and weekend brunch this year. Hours are Tuesday through Sunday, lunch is served from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., dinner is served from 5:30 to close (around 9 p.m.), weekend brunch is served from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. This year the Bistro will be offering some new menu selections in addition to some “prix fixe” menus. For information, call (941) 964-0155.
At the Johann Fust Community Library ...
The Johann Fust Community Library is offering the following free program for children in October:• Family Storytime on Wednesday, Oct. 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20 at 10:15 a.m. For ages up to five. Your whole family is invited to this enjoyable, all-ages storytime that encourages the development of prereading skills through songs, rhymes, fingerplays and stories.The Johann Fust Community Library is located at 1040 W. 10th Street in Boca Grande. For information about a program or to register, please call the library at (941) 964-2488. Check the Lee County Library System’s website at leelibrary.net to find out about programs at other locations.
BG’s Halloween Walk ...
All ghouls and goblins are invited to go trick-or-treating in downtown Boca Grande on Thursday, Oct. 31 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Downtown stores will have candy and treats to give away!
Scarpa’s Halloween party ..
Scarpa’s Restaurant will be having a Halloween party on Thursday, Oct. 31 at 8 p.m. There will be a costume party, witches brew and prizes. Scarpa’s is located in the old Theatre Building at 321 Park Avenue in Boca Grande. For more information, call (941) 964-0806.
Halloween Teen Dance Party
The Englewood Event Center and the Englewood Community Coalition invite students in grades 7 through 12 to a free Halloween Teen Dance Party on Thursday, Oct. 31. The EEC, the Englewood Community Coalition and our supporting sponsors wish to provide the local youth with a fun, drug- and alcohol- free, safe event.There will be free concessions and beverages provided. Space is limited to 300 students plus parentsDoors open at 6:30 p.m. and doors close at 9:30 p.m. The Englewood Event Center is located at 3069 S. McCall Rd. For information, call (941) 270-3324. To preregister for the Halloween dance and for event rules see englewoodeventcenter.com/hallowteen.html
Join BIPS and FOCC to celebrate Cayo Costa Day
Join us for a day to enjoy and celebrate the island with lunch and fun outdoor activities, including guided shelling & nature walks on Saturday, Nov. 2 at Cayo Costa Island State Park from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.Cost is $40 per adult or $30 per friend/member of Cayo Costa and includes boat ride, lunch, park fee and activities. Campers or private boaters are welcome too. Lunch is only $12 a person. Cayo Costa Island State Park is only accessible by boat. Don’t have one? No worries, you can charter a ride with the providers listed below.Just register by calling your departure location, and please know that space is limited:Captiva Cruises - Captiva Island & Boca Grande - (239) 472-5300Tropic Star Cruises - Pine Island - (239) 283-0015King Fisher Fleet - Punta Gorda -(941) 639-0969Thank you to Captiva Cruises, Tropic Star Cruises and King Fisher Fleet for donating all proceeds to Friends of Cayo Costa State Park.Learn more about FOCC at friendsofcayocosta.org.
Fusion reopens soon ...
Boca Grande’s north end restaurant, Fusion, will be reopening for the season on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 4 p.m. Come enjoy the some new menu items! Hours are Wednesday through Sunday from 4 p.m. to close (around 9 p.m.). Happy hour is from 4 to 6 p.m., with 2-for-1 all well drinks and house wines. Come have a drink and a bite at the bar. For more information, call (941) 855-9733.
New at Special Effects ...
Boca Grande’s Special Effects has some new arrivals in the store. Come see the Softworks chenille sweaters, Airflow tops from Renuar, new Renuar pants in different colors and exquisite pearl pieces from local artist and jewelry designer Julie Salvetti. Store hours are Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. For more information, call (941) 964-0907.
Keep those pearly whites clean ...
Island Dog Boutique & Pet Supply Co. is offering anesthesia free dental cleaning service is coming to town on Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Stop by with your $25 (cash or check only) deposit to secure an appointment for that day. Canine & Feline Anesthesia Free Dentals, LLC will be providing the service. It’s safe and affordable. No drugs, so no recovery time required. Island Dog Boutique & Supply Co. is located in the Railroad Plaza in Boca Grande. October hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday. For information call (941) 964-WOOF (9663).
• Lighthouse United Methodist Church - Sunday worship services are at 10 a.m. Fellowship time follows the 10 a.m. Sunday morning service. The Island Youth Group meets weekly on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. For more information, call (941) 964-2479 or see bglighthouseumc.com.
• First Baptist Church - Sunday morning is at 10 a.m.
• Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church - Weekday mass at 8 a.m.
- Saturday vigil mass at 5 p.m. - Sunday mass at 9 & 10:30 a.m.
• St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- Sunday worship and Eucharist is at 9:30 a.m., followed by a coffee hour after the service in the Chapter House.
• Al-Anon (closed) Meeting 5:30 p.m., Tuesdays at United Methodist Church, Third Street & Gilchrist Avenue. Enter behind the church from Third Street.
• Alcoholics Anonymous (closed) weekly meeting at 8 p.m., Tuesdays at Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church, Fellowship Hall.
• Boca Grande Fire Control District monthly meetings are held on the third Wednesday of the month at 5 p.m., 360 E. Railroad Ave.
• Learn how to download free ebooks and audio books from the library to your iPad, iPhone, Kindle or laptop. Call the Johann Fust Community Library at (941) 964-2488 for your one-on-one appointment.
• Boca Grande’s Banyan Tree Pilates and Yoga is open for personal training, pilates, yoga classes, private training classes and massages. Stay healthy and limber throughout the summer! Located at 320 East Railroad Ave. Call (941) 964-4404 or visitBanyanTreePilatesandYoga.com for the full schedule of classes and events.
• The Boca Grande Duplicate Bridge Club - Duplicate bridge games will be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 to 4:15 p.m. at the Crowninshield Community House. Consult the Boca Grande Duplicate Bridge Club website at bgdbc.org regarding additional levels of lessons, reservations and for additional information.
• Suicide bereavement group - All are welcome to attend the suicide bereavement group. The group will meet on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month in the Fellowship Hall of the First Baptist Church of Boca Grande from 5 to 6:30 p.m. For registration, call Carol Napoli at (239) 425-9873 and leave a message. Sponsored by Hope Hospice.
• Sit down and get fit - Achieve all of the benefits of standing exercise, without the risk. Classes are held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:30 a.m. in the Boca Grande Community Center’s Special Interest Room with Instructor John Mannion. For more information, call the Friends office at (941) 964-0827.
• At ease, veterans - Combat veterans from Gulf Cove United Methodist Church are providing some of the support and discussion that our veterans deserve. On the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m, they are at the American Legion Post 113, at 3436 Indiana Road in Rotonda West. Veterans are invited and encouraged to join them.
• The Happy Hookers Rug Hooking, Needlepoint and Knitting Club - The Happy Hookers meet every Monday at 1 p.m. in the Houghton Room. Anyone who enjoys the company of fellow hookers or would like a little advice while working on their craft is welcome. Call Sylvia at (941) 964-0928 for details.
• Cribbage ... Wanna play? There are many games played on our beautiful island, but not cribbage! If you are interested in having a chance to once again play that wonderful game, please call Kappy’s Downtown at (941) 855-9355. We have tables and refreshments.